Sage and Red Onion Scones
About this recipe:
This savoury vegan scone recipe is especially good for serving with soup. You could also slice and fill these tasty scones for a lunchbox treat.
large baking tray and 2 x mixing bowls
200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
4 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
1 tbsp dried sage
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp oil
50g red onion
oil, for tray
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sage, sugar, salt and pepper and blend together well.
- Sprinkle the oil into the bowl and stir until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Finely dice the onion, add it to the bowl and stir until all the pieces are covered in flour.
- Add the water and mix to form a soft dough.
- Using your hands, gather everything together to form a ball of dough.
- Dust the worktop with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Gently shape the dough into a rectangle, flattening it gently with your hand until 2cm/¾” thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal rectangles.
- Transfer the dough pieces to the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.