Wholemeal Rye Soda Bread
About this recipe:
This easy soda bread recipe is great for rye flour which can sometimes be tricky to handle in yeasted doughs.
1kg/2lb loaf tin, 2 x mixing bowls and measuring jug
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Rye Flour
2 tsp Doves Farm Bicarbonate of Soda
¼ tsp Doves Farm Vitamin C (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
pinch of salt
50ml boiling water
150ml cold water
250ml natural yoghurt
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, Vitamin C, if used, and salt into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Measure the boiling water into a jug and add the cold water and lemon juice, if used.
- Add the yoghurt and stir to combine.
- Pour this into the mixing bowl and stir everything together to make a soft, sticky dough mass.
- Sprinkle the oil over the dough mass and using a spatula turn the mixture a couple of times in the bowl.
- Tip the dough into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Brush some oil over a piece of aluminium foil. With the oiled side down, cover the tin creating a dome so the bread can rise during cooking.
- Bake for 55 minutes, carefully remove the aluminium foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out of the tin, tap the base and if it sounds hollow the bread is cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.