Wholemeal Redcurrant Tart
About this recipe:
For a taste of summer make this when redcurrants are plentiful. This pleasantly acidic fruit happily encased in sweet soft pastry makes a delicious summer slice.
23cm/9” tart or flan dish, parchment paper, ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) for blind baking, saucepan and 2 x mixing bowls
SWEET WHOLEMEAL PASTRY
150g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
2 tsp orange rind, grated
75g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp orange liquor or juice
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
3 tbsp tapioca flour
150g caster sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
Sweet Wholemeal Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 23cm/9” tart or flan dish.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes, add them to the bowl and using a fork or pastry blender work them together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Finely grate the orange rind into the bowl, add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the egg yolks and orange liquor or juice and stir well.
- Using your hands gather together a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press the pastry into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the surface.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from the oven, carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry and return it to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes without browning too much.
- Put the redcurrants into a mixing bowl, add the tapioca flour and stir to combine.
- Put the sugar and orange juice into a saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Shake the pan occasionally as the sugar starts to melt.
- As soon as the sugar has melted remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the redcurrants to the saucepan and stir until everything is combined.
- Tip the redcurrants into the pastry case.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes.