Pumpkin and Pecan Pie
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Typically served at celebratory meals in the Southern states of America, this pie links the classic combination of pumpkin, pecan nuts and aromatic warm spices in a pastry case. Serve warm as a dessert or chilled with a cup of coffee.
20cm/8” tart or flan dish, ceramic baking beans, oven tray lightly oiled, food processor, parchment paper and 2 x mixing bowls
350g pumpkin or squash
oil, for tray
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
25g caster sugar
3 egg yolks
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
75ml evaporated milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp maple syrup
125g pecan halves
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7 for roasting the pumpkin
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5 for cooking the pastry case
- Pre-heat the oven if roasting the pumpkin.
- Chop the pumpkin into small pieces, put the pieces onto a lightly oiled oven tray and bake for 40 minutes until soft. Or put the pumpkin pieces into a pan of water, simmer over a medium heat until soft and drain.
- When cold enough to handle, remove and discard the pumpkin skin, and put the pulp into a food processor.
- Pulse or mash the pumpkin into a smooth purée.
- Lower the oven temperature to 190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20cm/8” tart or flan dish.
- Measure the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender to work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and stir well.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the pastry in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the pastry into the dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Chill the prepared pastry until required.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the surface.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry.
- Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Put the milk, sugar, maple syrup, egg and mixed spice into a mixing bowl and beat together well.
- Add this to the pumpkin in the food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pastry case.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes.
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl, add the maple syrup and beat to combine.
- Add the pecan halves and mix thoroughly.
- Place the pecans onto the pie in a decorative pattern.
- Drizzle any remaining liquid over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Delicious served warm or chilled.