Millionaire’s Shortbread Biscuits
About this recipe:
A classic bake, millionaires shortbread consists of a butter shortbread base, a mouth-watering mid layer of caramel, topped off with a layer of chocolate. These special shortbread biscuits make an eye-catching treat or delightful gift. For a vegan version why not try our recipe for Teff Millionaires Shortbread.
8 x 12″/20 x 30cm baking tray, saucepan and mixing bowl
SHORTBREAD BISCUIT BASE
75g caster sugar
250g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
butter – for tray
400g condensed milk
150g milk chocolate
100g plain chocolate
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Shortbread Biscuit Base
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of an 8 x 12″/20 x 30cm baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat them together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and mix into a dough.
- Tip the mixture onto the prepared tray spreading it into the corners.
- Using the back of a spoon smooth the top.
- Prick holes all over the dough with a fork, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Put the butter and sugar into a saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring regularly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the condensed milk and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened but without changing colour, stirring all the time.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the caramel onto the cold shortbread base.
- Spread out the caramel and leave to set.
- Break both types of chocolate into small pieces, put them into a bowl with the butter and melt gently together until just runny.
- Stir and spread the chocolate topping over the cold caramel.
- Allow to cool and set a little before using the back of a fork to make wavy lines in the topping.
- Leave to set.
- Cut into squares or slices and store in a tin.