White Spelt Milk Bread Plait
About this recipe:
This impressive looking loaf makes a table centrepiece or a wonderful gift.
large baking tray and 2 x large mixing bowls
50g butter, melted
300ml tepid milk
500g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
½ tsp salt
1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
oil, for tray
200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas 6
- Melt the butter.
- Separate the egg into two bowls, cover and save the white for later.
- Add the milk to the yolk, beat until combined and set aside.
- Put the flour and yeast into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the milk mixture, and as the dough starts to come together, stir in the salt.
- Add the melted butter and continue stirring.
- Using your hands, bring together a slightly sticky dough and knead it in the bowl knead for 50 presses, without adding flour.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Lightly dust the dough with flour and knead it for 50 presses.
- Rub some oil generously around the inside of a baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces, dust lightly with flour and roll each into a 40cm/16” strand.
- Lay the three strands in front of you, on the prepared baking tray, and pinch the furthest ends together.
- Plait the dough by gently lifting the right-hand strand over the middle strand to become the middle one. Then cross the left-hand strand over the new central strand so that it becomes the middle strand. Continue lifting the right and left-hand strands over the central one and pinch the ends together to finish.
- Brush the dough with reserved egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds, if used.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Leave the plait to rise in a warm, draught free place for 35 minutes.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until plump and golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then carefully transfer the bread plait to a rack and leave to cool.