Wholemeal Rye and Maple Drop Scones
About this recipe:
These maple drop scones are rather like Scotch drop pancakes and are delicious served warm with extra syrup or toasted and spread with butter and jam.
frying pan and 2 x mixing bowls
100g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Rye Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
3 tbsp maple syrup
oil, for frying
maple syrup, to serve
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Break the egg into the bowl, add the maple syrup and half the milk and beat to make a smooth batter.
- Stir in the remaining milk. Use the batter straight away or refrigerate for up to 12 hours if you wish.
- Put a little oil into a frying pan, roll it around to cover the surface and heat until nice and hot.
- Pour batter into the pan to make 75mm/3” circles and cook on a medium heat.
- When bubbles appear on the surface and the base is golden turn the drop scones over and cook the other side.
- Transfer the cooked drop scones to a cooling rack.
- Repeat until the batter is used.
- Serve warm with more maple syrup.