Wholemeal Low Fat Sponge Sandwich
About this recipe:
Make and bake this low-fat wholemeal sponge in under 20 minutes. Using just three, simple ingredients and a filling, this sponge sandwich is quick to bake and there will be hardly any washing up afterwards. For this everyday cake we used two 20cm/8” round tins, although you can use two 15cm/6” diameter tins for deeper sponges. You can also swap marmalade or chocolate spread for the jam used to sandwich the sponges together.
2 x 20cm/8” round cake tins and mixing bowl
75g caster sugar
100g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
5 tbsp jam
oil, for tins
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of two 20cm/8” round cake tins or insert a baking liner.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and beat until thickened.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl adding any bran left in the sieve.
- Gently fold in the flour with a large metal spoon without over mixing.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- When cooked turn out the cakes onto a cooling rack.
- Sandwich the cold cakes together with jam.