Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 500g/1lb bread tin.
- Put the butter and sugar into a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl and stir.
- Finely grate the lemon rind into the bowl, add the poppy seeds and lemon juice and mix together well.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then gently turn it out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Lemon and Poppy Seed Icing
- Put the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and stir to make an icing paste.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cold cake.
- Before the icing sets, sprinkle the poppy seeds over the top of the cake.
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5