About this recipe:
These little chocolate and coconut coated sponge cakes are something of an institution in Australia.
20cm/8” square tin, 2 x mixing bowls and saucepan
BUTTER SPONGE CAKE
150g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
butter, for tin
CHOCOLATE AND COCONUT TOPPING
175g desiccated coconut
150g icing sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
150g unsalted butter
6 tbsp milk
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Butter Sponge Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20cm/8″ square tin or insert a baking liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Break the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Stir in the flour.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 minutes, until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- When cold cut the cold cake into 5cm cubes.
- Put the cake cubes on a plate and open freeze them for 15-20 minutes.
Chocolate and Coconut Topping
- Put the coconut onto a plate.
- Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
- Chop the unsalted butter into a saucepan, add the milk and warm gently.
- When the butter has melted remove from the heat, add the prepared sugar and cocoa and stir to make the chocolate sauce.
- Remove the cold cake cubes from the freezer and spear a cube of sponge with a fork.
- Hold the sponge over the saucepan and spoon chocolate sauce over all its sides until covered.
- Lift the sponge onto the coconut plate and roll it in the coconut.
- Transfer the lamington to a rack or plate, remove the fork and leave to cool.
- Repeat with all the cubes of sponge.