Butter Sponge Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20cm/8" square tin or insert a baking liner.
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Break the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Followed by the vanilla extract and stir in the flour.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 minutes, until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- When cold cut the cold cake into 5cm cubes.
- Put the cake cubes on a plate and open freeze them for 15-20 minutes.
Chocolate and Coconut Topping
- Put the coconut onto a plate.
- Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
- Measure the unsalted butter and milk in a pan and warm gently.
- When the butter has melted remove from the heat, add the prepared sugar and cocoa and stir to make the chocolate sauce.
- Remove the cold cake cubes from the freezer and spear a cube of sponge with a fork.
- Hold the sponge over the saucepan and spoon chocolate sauce over all its sides until covered.
- Lift the sponge onto the coconut plate and roll it in the coconut.
- Transfer the lamington to a rack or plate, remove the fork and leave to cool.
- Repeat with all the cubes of sponge.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4