Wholemeal Khorasan Sandwich Loaf
About this recipe:
This wholemeal loaf typically has a pale, creamy coloured and close textured crumb, lovely flavour and makes a great sandwich. Wholemeal Khorasan flour sometimes requires more liquid than wheat flour so adjust the water if necessary to ensure the dough is not too stiff.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x large mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Khorasan Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
375ml tepid water
2 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses, without adding flour.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses then shape it into an oval.
- Put the dough into the prepared tin, cover with the inverted mixing bowl and leave it to rise in a warm place for 25-30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn the bread out of the tin, tap the base and if it sounds hollow the bread is cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.