Wholemeal Khorasan Bread Cob
About this recipe:
A cob loaf refers to its round shape and the bread dough is simply baked on an oven tray. With its creamy coloured crumb and soft texture, you could be forgiven for forgetting that this is a whole grain loaf.
oven or baking tray and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Khorasan Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
375ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
oil, for tray
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy, then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses, without adding flour.
- Cover the dough bowl with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of an oven or baking tray.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses then shape it into a large ball.
- Place the dough ball on the prepared tray, cover with the large upturned mixing bowl and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn the bread over, tap the base and if it sounds hollow, the bread is cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.