Wholemeal Bread with Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
About this recipe:
Wholemeal bread is usually made with a strong wholemeal although this recipe shows how to make bread using Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour for a great tasting loaf. The rise might be a little less impressive than with a bread flour, but the real wheat taste will be there.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Plain Wholemeal Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
325g tepid water
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough for 100 presses.
- Cover with an upturned mixing bowl and leave in a warm place to double in size, about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin or insert a baking liner.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Cover the tin with an upturned mixing bowl and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.