Hot Cross Buns
About this recipe:
Traditionally warm or served toasted over the Easter period, hot cross buns are a classic mildly spiced fruit bun.
large baking tray and 2 x mixing bowls
300g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp mixed spice
50g mixed peel, chopped
butter, for tray
HOT CROSS TOPPING
50g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
3 tbsp water
3 tbsp apricot jam
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Melt the butter.
- Break the egg into a bowl, add the milk and beat together.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and mixed spice into a bowl and mix together.
- Add the egg and milk mixture and stir into a sticky dough.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 100 presses, if possible, without adding flour. The dough will be sticky at first then become smooth and pliable.
- Invert a bowl over the dough bowl and leave in a warm place to double in size, about 2 hours.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Add the currants and peel to the dough and knead until they are well combined.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces, roll each into a ball and place them on the prepared oven tray.
Hot Cross Topping
- Put the plain flour into a bowl and add just enough water to make a very thick paste.
- Using a brush or teaspoon paint or dribble some paste over the top of each bun to form a cross.
- Leave the buns to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before you are going to bake.
- Repeat the paste cross over each bun and rise for a further 15 minutes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Gently heat the apricot jam, mashing any lumps, and brush it over the buns as they come out of the oven.