Wholemeal Rye, Oat and Honey Bread
About this recipe:
The honey in this loaf compliments the rye and oats, creating an appealing aroma and tasty crumb. Serve this delicious bread with cheese or with your favourite spread.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
200g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Rye Flour
300g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
300ml tepid milk
4 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Put the rye flour, white flour, oats and yeast into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Add the milk and honey, and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 50 presses.
- Cover the dough bowl with an upturned bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take 1-2 hours.
- Knead the dough for another 50 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Invert a mixing bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 40-45 minutes. You will know it is cooked when the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.