Vegan Wholemeal Tomato Quiche
About this recipe:
Packed with flavour, serve this tasty, vegan, tomato quiche warm for lunch or supper. The wholemeal pastry crust adds to the overall flavour combination but you could make the pastry with white flour if you prefer.
18cm/7” round baking dish or tart tin, 2 x mixing bowls and pastry blender
VEGAN WHOLEMEAL PASTRY
100g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
pinch of salt
50g vegan baking block
3-4 tbsp cold water
oil, for tin
flour, for dusting
50g gram flour
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp basil
pinch of chilli powder (optional)
pinch of salt and pepper
200g fresh tomatoes
fresh basil, to serve
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Vegan Wholemeal Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little oil around the inside of a 18cm/7” round baking dish or tart tin.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the vegan baking block into the bowl and using a fork or pastry blender work the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to bring together a soft ball of dough.
- Cover the pastry and rest for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Put the gram flour into a mixing bowl and add enough water to make a smooth paste. Beat in the remaining water, tomato puree, brown sugar, basil, chilli powder (if used), salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- Slice the tomatoes and spread these over the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Tear up some fresh basil leaves and scatter them over the quiche before serving.