Meringue Almond Layers
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Cut three 25cm/10” squares of parchment and use them to line the base and sides of three 20cm/8” round cake tins without trimming off the excess.
- Spread out the ground almonds on a large oven tray and bake for 4-8 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Tip the nuts into a bowl, add the caster sugar and cornflour and stir to combine.
- Put the egg whites into a glass or metal mixing bowl and whisk until stiff.
- Add the icing sugar a spoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Tip the prepared nut mixture onto the stiff egg white and, using a metal spoon, gently cut and fold the two together without over mixing.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 45 minutes then turn off the oven, leaving the tins inside until cold.
- Remove the tins from the oven and holding the parchment, lift the meringue layers from their tins.
Chocolate Filling and Topping
- Break the chocolate into squares and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Put the cream into a saucepan and heat it gently. As soon as bubbles start to appear remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream onto the chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate has all melted into the cream.
- Add the syrup, stir to combine and leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between two of the cake layers, spreading it out to the edges.
- Place one of these layers on top of the other and the third layer on top.
- Sieve a little icing sugar over the top layer and serve with a jug of cream.
large oven tray, 3 x 20cm/8” round cake tins, parchment paper, saucepan, electric beaters and mixing bowls
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5