Gooseberry Sweet Pastry Tart
About this recipe:
To many people the sharp yet sweet gooseberry represents the very essence of traditional British summer cooking. You can use green or pink varieties of gooseberry in this tart.
20cm/8” round baking dish, parchment paper, pastry blender, ceramic baking beans and 2 x mixing bowls
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
75g icing sugar
3 egg yolks
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
100ml double cream
75g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g dessert gooseberries
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around a 20cm/8” round baking dish.
- Put the flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and stir well.
- Using your hands gather together a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Dust the worktop with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press the pastry into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the surface.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from the oven, carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry and return it to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes without browning too much.
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl, add the cream, caster sugar and vanilla extract and beat together well.
- Stir in the gooseberries then pour the mixture into the pastry lined dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.