1. Break off 11 small pieces of marzipan and roll each into a marble size ball. Divide the remaining paste in half and roll each into a 20cm/8” circle. Cover and set aside.
2. Grate the apple into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, oil and water and beat well.
3. Beat in the spice, xanthan and flour. Stir in the mixed dried fruit.
4. Press half the mixture into a parchment lined 20cm/8” deep round tin and cover with one prepared almond paste circle. Add the remaining cake mixture and smooth the top.
5. Place a sheet of parchment loosely over the cake tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 1½/1¾hours.
6. Cool the cake completely then brush the top with some warmed jam and place the remaining paste circle on top.
7. Brush a little jam onto the base of each paste ball and press them onto the top of the cake in a circle. Place the cake under hot grill for a few minutes or use a blow torch to brown the top slightly.
To make your own marzipan swap please see our recipe here.
Temperature & cooking time:
160ºC/Fan 140º/300ºF/Gas Mk3 for 1¾/2 hours
Without Dairy, Without Egg, Without Gluten, Without Soya, Vegan, Without Wheat.
Please note: Dietary status is a guideline only. If you have a food allergy, please check the suitability of your ingredients.