Gluten Free Hot Water Pastry
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the lard and use a fork or pastry blender to work it into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Avoid using your fingers for this.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and beat to mix.
- Pour half the beaten egg into the mixing bowl and stir to roughly combine.
- Add the boiling water and stir to bring together a slightly sticky dough.
- Cover the dough and leave to stand for at least an hour.
Pork Pie Filling
- Measure the sage, salt, mace and ground pepper into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Finely grate the lemon rind into the bowl and stir to make the seasoning mix.
- Put the pork mince, sausage meat and chopped bacon into a mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Stir in the seasoning mix.
Raised Pork Pie
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub butter generously around the base and sides of a 15cm/6” round, loose bottom, deep cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Take two thirds of the pastry and press it into the bottom and sides of the dish.
- Tip the pie filling into the pastry lined tin and smooth the top.
- Moisten the pastry rim with water.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour, put the remaining dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry into a 15cm/6” circle.
- Brush a little water around the circumference of the pastry circle.
- Press a 3cm/1¼” cookie cutter or egg cup into the centre of the pastry and remove the small pastry circle. This will allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Transfer the pastry circle over the filled pie, inverting it so the moistened side is down.
- Press, pinch or crimp together the outside edges using your fingers or the flat prongs of a fork.
- Brush the remaining beaten egg over the top of the pie.
- Place the pie on an oven tray and bake for 80-90 minutes until golden.
- Allow the pie to cool completely in the tin.
- Carefully push and lift the cold pie out of the tin.
- Wrap the pie and refrigerate. Best eaten within 3-4 days.
15cm/6” round, loose bottom deep cake tin, 3cm/1¼” cookie cutter or egg cup, mixing bowls and oven tray
170°C, Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3