- Put the flour, xanthan gum and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to bring together to a soft ball of dough, it may appear a little wet but will absorb the liquid.
- Cover and rest the pastry for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the pastry in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle a 5cm/2” larger than you dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Lay a large piece of parchment over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter the ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment, spreading them evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment and contents off the pastry. Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
Onion & Bacon Quiche Filling
- Finely slice the onions into a frying pan, add the bacon cubes and oil and cook over medium heat until the onions and bacon have changed colour.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and beat well.
- OR whisk the gram flour, xanthan gum, nutmeg, salt and pepper with half the vegan milk to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the remaining milk.
- Grate the cheese and add this to the bowl.
- Mix in the cooked onion, bacon.
- Tip everything into the pastry case and bake for 25-30 minutes.
20cm/8” round tart or flan dish, ceramic baking beans and mixing bowl
Oven 180˚C, Fan 160˚C, 350˚F, Gas 4