- Put the flour, xanthan gum and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and using a fork or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to bring together to a soft ball of dough, it may appear a little wet but will absorb the liquid.
- Wrap in parchment paper and rest the pastry for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust the work surface with flour and roll the pastry out to fit your dish OR roll it out between two pieces of parchment OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Lay a large piece of parchment over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter the ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment, spreading them evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment and contents off the pastry. Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
Onion & Bacon Quiche Filling
- Finely slice the onions into a frying pan, add the bacon cubes and oil and cook over medium heat until the onions and bacon have changed colour.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and beat well.
- OR whisk the gram flour, xanthan gum, nutmeg, salt and pepper with half the vegan milk to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the remaining milk.
- Grate the cheese and add this to the bowl.
- Mix in the cooked onion, bacon.
- Tip everything into the pastry case and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Oven 180˚C, Fan 160˚C, 350˚F, Gas 4