Gluten Free Sweet Pastry Case
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the insides of 23cm/9” tart tin.
- Sieve the flour, sugar and xanthan gum into a bowl and stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and using a fork or pastry blender, work them together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, gather everything together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the pastry in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out to a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Lay a large piece of parchment over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter the ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment, spreading them evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment and contents off the pastry. Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 10-12 minutes until the pastry just starts to turn golden.
- Leave the pastry case to cool.
Crème Pâtissière Custard
- Measure the sugar, cornflour, and cream into a large bowl, add the egg yolks and mix to a smooth paste.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling.
- Poor half the hot milk on to the paste stirring as you do this.
- Tip the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Return the pan to gentle heat and stir continuously as the custard thickens and cooks.
- Pour the custard into a clean bowl.
- To stop a skin forming, brush a little butter over a piece of parchment paper and put it butter side down on the surface of the crème pâtissière.
- Leave until cold then chill until required.
Mixed Berry Tart
- Remove the parchment and beat the cold crème pâtissière to ensure it is smooth.
- Tip the custard into the cold pastry case smoothing it out to the edges.
- Arrange a selection of fresh berries on the cold crème pâtissière.
- Chill the tart until ready to serve.
- Sieve a teaspoon of icing sugar over the berries before serving.
23cm/9” tart tin, 2 x large mixing bowls, sieve, pastry blender, pastry brush, parchment, baking beans for blind baking and saucepan.
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5