Buckwheat Sweet Pastry Case
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the insides two x 12 mini hole cake trays.
- Measure the flour, sugar and xanthan gum into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and use a fork or pastry blender to work them together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, gather everything together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry until about 1.5mm/1/16” thick.
- Select a pastry cutter or cup with a diameter 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of the mini tray and press it into the dough to make circles.
- Lift the pastry circles on to the prepared mini tray.
- Gather up the pastry off cuts, pressing them into a ball of dough and roll it out again to cut more circles.
- Put a scant quarter teaspoon of jam into the bottom of each pastry circle.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave the jam tarts to cool.
Crème Pâtissière Custard
- Measure the sugar, cornflour, and cream into a large bowl add the egg yolks and mix to a smooth paste.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling.
- Poor half the hot milk on to the paste stirring as you do this.
- Tip the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Return the pan to gentle heat and stir continuously as the custard thickens and cooks.
- Pour the custard into a clean bowl.
- To stop a skin forming, brush a little butter over a piece of parchment paper and put it butter side down on the surface of the crème pâtissière.
- Leave until cold then chill until required.
Buckwheat Fruit Tarts
- Remove the parchment and beat the cold crème pâtissière to ensure it is smooth.
- Spoon or pipe the custard into the cold jam tarts.
- Cut the berries and fruit into small pieces if necessary and arrange some fruit on each tart.
- Add small leaves of mint for additional decoration.
2 x 12 mini hole cake trays, 2 x mixing bowls, sieve, saucepan and parchment paper.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4