- Line a 10x15cm/4x6" baking dish with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven.
- Gently melt together the chocolate and butter.
- Put the caster sugar and flour into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Beat the egg and water into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and butter.
- Pour into your prepared parchment lined baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the mascarpone, marsala (or grape juice) and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped glacé peel, quartered cherries and chocolate chips.
- Stir gently and thoroughly.
- Slice the brownie in half horizontally and put the bottom slice onto a serving dish. If it is broken into pieces just arrange these in a rectangle.
- Spoon half the prepared cassata cream onto the brownie and spread it out.
- Arrange the remaining brownie slice over the cream.
- Spread the remaining cassata cream over the top.
- Scatter the pomegranate seeds over the top and decorate with candied fruit.
- Chill until ready to serve.
* sherry, brandy or orange liquor would also be delicious
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4