1. Put the dates into a bowl, pour on the boiling water and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the oven.
3. Rub a little of the oil around the inside of a 18cm/7" deep cake tin or insert a baking liner.
4. Measure the flour, baking powder and mixed spice into another bowl, stir to combine.
5. Drain the dates, put them into a blender and pulse into a purée.
6. Add the oil, treacle and eggs and pulse until smooth.
7. Tip the date mixture into the mixing bowl.
8. Sieve the flour blend into the mixing bowl and stir to make a smooth paste.
9. Stir in the mixed dried fruit.
10. Tip the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
11. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
12. Leave the cake to cool in the tin before turning out.
13. Store the cold cake in an airtight tin.
170°C, Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3
Going gluten free in the 70s...Learn More