- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of three 20cm/8" round baking tins or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour into a small bowl.
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Break one egg into the bowl and beat to combine OR add the chickpea + water and beat well.
- Sieve the cocoa into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Break the remaining eggs into the bowl, beating them in one at a time.
- Sieve half the prepared flour into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Sieve the remaining flour into the bowl and beat well.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Put the butter into a bowl and beat it until it is light and fluffy.
- Sieve the icing sugar into the bowl and beat to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the top of two cold cakes and spread it out evenly. Place one cake on top of the other.
- Place the third sponge on top.
Chocolate Ganache and Topping
- Put the cream into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the cream is almost boiling, remove from the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate.
- Allow the topping to cool stirring until it thickens slightly.
- Spread the topping over the top and sides of the cake.
- Scatter marshmallows over the cake.
- Sieve a little cocoa over the top to finish.
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5