Wholemeal Spelt Fig and Walnut Bread
About this recipe:
This delicious bread is wonderful with both sweet and savoury toppings or just simply spread with butter.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x large mixing bowls
100g dried figs
4 tbsp orange juice
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
300ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp walnut oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Chop the figs and walnuts, put them in a bowl with the orange juice, cover and set them aside to soak.
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the walnut oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Add the prepared figs and walnuts, kneading until they are combined.
- Shape the dough, pushing exposed figs and walnuts back into the dough, and put it onto the prepared tin.
- Invert a mixing bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.