About this recipe:
Work quickly with these simple ingredients to make versatile shortcrust pastry that can be used with a wide variety of sweet and savoury fillings. This quantity of pastry is sufficient for the top and base of an 18cm/7” pie, a large baking tray or 24 small tarts.
pie dish, baking tray or tart tray, mixing bowl and pastry blender
200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
pinch of salt
7-9 tbsp cold water
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of your dish or tin.
- Measure the flour into a mixing bowl and add a pinch of salt if you are going to use the pastry for something savoury.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough of the water to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
- Continue as per your recipe.