Wholemeal Emmer Soda Bread
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This quick and easy, yeast free bread recipe uses bicarbonate of soda, sometimes known as baking soda, to rise a delicious loaf with deep rich wheaty flavour.
1kg/2lb loaf tin, kitchen foil, measuring jug and mixing bowl
450g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Emmer Flour
2 tsp Doves Farm Bicarbonate of Soda
pinch of salt
50ml boiling water
150ml cold water
250g natural yoghurt
oil, for tin and brushing
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl, stir well to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl. Tip any bran left in the sieve into the bowl.
- Measure the boiling water into a jug and add the cold water.
- Add the yoghurt and stir to combine.
- Pour this into the mixing bowl and stir everything together to make a soft, sticky, dough mass.
- Tip the dough into the prepared tin, smooth the top and sprinkle/brush with oil.
- Cover the tin with oiled kitchen foil creating a dome so the bread can rise during cooking.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Carefully remove the kitchen foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out of the tin, tap the base and if it sounds hollow, the bread is cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.