Vegan Sponge Layer Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of two 17cm/7” round cake tins or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the sponge mix into a mixing bowl, chickpea flour, tapioca and baking powder and stir to mix the flours together well.
- Sieve this into another mixing bowl to mix and aerate the flour blend.
- Put the milk and oil into the empty bowl and beat together.
- Add the prepared blend of flours and stir into a thick paste.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and smooth the top with a knife.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes until golden and the sponge springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Vegan Filling and Topping
- Sieve the icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the spread and mix together well.
- Spread this evenly over one cold sponge layer.
- Spoon the jam on top and spread this out.
- Place the second sponge on top.
- Sieve the remaining teaspoon of icing sugar over the cake and serve.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4