- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 23 x 33cm/9 x 13” baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Finely grate the lemon peel and melt the butter.
- Put the sponge cake mix into a mixing bowl.
- Break the eggs into the bowl, grated lemon peel and melted butter and beat everything together until smooth.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tray, spreading it into the corners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes.
Lemon Drizzle and Topping
- Using a cocktail or BBQ stick prick lots of holes all over the cake surface.
- Add the lemon juice into a saucepan and add the sugar.
- Put the pan over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, then boil gently for about three minutes, swirling the pan occasionally to make a syrup.
- Pour the syrup slowly all over the top of the sponge.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and heat very gently.
- As soon as you can stir the chocolate, drizzle it over the traybake in a zig zag fashion.
- Cut the traybake into squares or rectangles.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4