BBQ Flatbread Dampers
About this recipe:
Compliment a BBQ or campfire meal occasion with these un-yeasted flatbread dampers. If cooking outside wait until the flames have subsided. Alternatively, these flatbreads are easy to rustle up in the kitchen and cooked on a hot skillet or in a frying pan.
large mixing bowl and jug
200g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
25g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
pinch of salt
25ml boiling water
50ml cold water
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
oil, for fingers
- Put the two flours, and salt into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Measure the boiling water into a jug, add the cold water and yoghurt and stir to combine.
- Pour the liquid into the bowl and mix into a dough.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 25 presses.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and rest for 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Rub a little oil onto your fingers and shape the dough balls into 10cm/4” circles.
- Transfer the dough circles onto a mature BBQ or campfire grill, a hot griddle, skillet, or frying pan.
- Cook as the dough puffs up and the underneath becomes flecked with brown specks, about 1-3 minutes depending on the heat.
- Using tongs turn the flatbread over and cook on the other side.
- As the flatbreads are cooked, wrap them in a clean tea towel until ready to serve.