Coconut Flour Chocolate Sponge Layers
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two 18cm/7” round, loose bottom cake tins or insert a baking liner.
- Melt the butter.
- Measure the coconut flour into a bowl, sieve the cocoa and baking powder on top and stir to combine.
- Put the eggs and sugar, into a large mixing bowl and beat together into a smooth emulsion.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Sieve the prepared flour mix into the bowl and beat again.
- Add the water and stir to combine.
- Immediately divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes.
- Leave the sponges to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool.
Chocolate Filling and Topping
- Break the chocolate into small pieces in a bowl.
- Put the cream into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- As soon as the cream comes to the boil, pour half onto the chocolate pieces.
- Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Add the remaining cream, stir until smooth then leave to cool and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Put half of the chocolate onto one sponge, spread it out and put the other sponge on top.
- Spread the remaining chocolate over the top sponge.
2 x 18cm/7” round, loose bottom cake tins, saucepan and 3 x mixing bowls
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4