White Spelt and Cinnamon Streusel Cake
About this recipe:
Calling all cinnamon lovers, this cake was created for you! A slice of this very moreish cake which is made with White Spelt Flour goes well with a cup of tea or coffee, as a sweet treat or tasty addition in the packed lunch box.
18cm/7” round deep cake tin and 2 x mixing bowls
125g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
3 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
2 tbsp cinnamon
125g caster sugar
3 tbsp milk
butter, for tin
100g ground almonds
125g demerara sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp icing sugar
2 cinnamon sticks, optional
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before you are going to bake.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 18cm/7” round deep cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a mixing bowl, stir to combine and sieve into another bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Tip the prepared flour blend into the bowl, add the milk, and stir to combine.
- Tip the mix into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Put the almonds and demerara sugar into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Break the egg into another bowl, add the milk and then beat together.
- Tip the egg mixture into the mixing bowl and roughly mix everything together with a fork.
- Spread the topping over the cake.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 20 minutes before carefully turning it out onto a rack to cool.
- When cold sieve the icing sugar over the cake and decorate with the cinnamon sticks.