Chocolate Swiss Roll Sponge
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20x30cm/8x12" baking tray or insert a cake liner. Pre-heat the oven.
- Measure the flour and cocoa into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until pale.
- Sieve the prepared flour and cocoa into the bowl and mix using a metal spoon in a cutting and folding action. Take care not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out to the edges.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Spread a clean tea towel over the baking tin, place a chopping board on top and invert everything together.
- Remove the baking tin, and cake liner if used, to leave the sponge on the tea towel.
- Using the tea towel for support, roll the long edge of the sponge into a cylinder with the cloth inside.
- Leave the cloth and sponge cylinder to cool completely.
Filling and Topping
- Spoon the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the cream into a mixing bowl and beat until nearly thick.
- Sieve two teaspoons of the prepared sugar into the cream and stir to combine.
- Gently unroll the cold sponge and roll it up again from the opposite long side.
- Once again, gently unroll the sponge and carefully spread the cream mixture all over the inside.
- Roll the sponge up again without the tea towel.
- Dust the remaining sugar and cocoa mix over the cake.
20x30cm/8x12" baking tray, mixing bowl, metal spoon, chopping board, clean tea towel and sieve
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7