Cherry Almond Loaf Cake
About this recipe:
The cherry and almond combination in this loaf cake make it a definite family favourite. It keeps well if wrapped in kitchen foil or stored in an airtight tin.
500g/1lb loaf tin and 2 x mixing bowls
200g glacé cherries
2 tbsp Doves Farm Organic Cornflour
100g caster sugar
75g ground almonds
75g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
butter, for tin
warm water, for cherries.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 500g/1lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Cut the cherries into quarters, put them into a bowl, add some warm water and stir to wash off the syrup.
- Drain the cherries, spread them out onto kitchen paper and pat them dry.
- Put the cherries into a bowl, sprinkle with cornflour and stir until well mixed.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in one egg followed by the ground almonds.
- Beat in the second egg.
- Sieve the flour into the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Tip into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. If a cocktail stick pressed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then gently turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.