Chapati Flat Breads
About this recipe:
You might be surprised at how easy this type of flatbread is to make and you may want to double the quantity of you have several people to feed. Once you have mastered this technique you may like to try Wholemeal Chapati or Rye Flour Chapati.
skillet, heavy frying pan or griddle, rolling pin, fish-slice and mixing bowl
250g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
pinch of salt
2 tbsp oil
150ml tepid water
oil, for frying
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl, pour on the tepid water and add the oil.
- Mix to make a smooth dough.
- Cover and leave for 15 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Set a skillet, heavy frying pan or griddle to get very hot.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces.
- Lightly dust the work surface and a rolling pin with flour.
- Roll each dough ball into a 15cm/6” circle.
- Transfer a dough circle to the hot pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- When the chapati starts to bubble up and the base has brown, toasted patches, turn it over and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Lift the chapati out of the pan, wrap it in tin foil and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Repeat with the remaining dough circles.