Wholemeal Caramelized Onion Tart
About this recipe:
Cooking and caramelizing the onions in advance of making the pastry adds depth of flavour to this delicious onion quiche.
23cm/9” quiche or tart dish, pastry blender, 2 x mixing bowls and frying pan
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
200g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
6-8 tbsp cold water
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
100ml single cream
salt and pepper
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Put the oil and butter into a frying pan, add the onions, cover and cook over a medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for 25–35 minutes. The onions will collapse and become brown.
- Remove the lid, stir in the brown sugar and cook for a further 2 minutes then remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, mash the butter cubes into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to bring together a soft ball of dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little oil around the inside of a 23cm/9” quiche or tart dish.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry hanging over the edge of your dish.
Caramelized Onion Tart
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream, salt and pepper and beat together well.
- Add the caramelized onions to the bowl, stir to combine then tip the mixture into the prepared pastry base.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.