Buckwheat Sponge Layers
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two 18cm/7” round cake tins or insert a cake liner.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the sugar and butter into a mixing bowl or kitchen blender and beat until smooth.
- Break the eggs into the bowl, sieve in the flour and add the milk.
- Beat or pulse until mixed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix a final time.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Buttercream and Jam Filling
- Measure the icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and milk and mix into a buttercream paste.
- Spread the buttercream over one cold cake layer.
- Spread the jam over the buttercream.
- Place the second sponge layer on top.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar.
18cm/7” round cake tins, blender or electric beaters and mixing bowls
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4