Buckwheat Flour Victoria Sponge Layer Cake
About this recipe:
This delicious Victoria sponge sandwich, baked with buckwheat flour, can be a great addition to your wholegrain baking repertoire.
2 x 18cm/7” round cake tins, blender or electric beaters and 2 x mixing bowls
BUCKWHEAT SPONGE LAYERS
175g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Buckwheat Flour
3 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
175g caster sugar
1 tbsp milk
butter, for tins
BUTTERCREAM AND JAM FILLING
100g icing sugar
1 tsp milk
4 tbsp jam
icing sugar, for dusting
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Buckwheat Sponge Layers
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two 18cm/7” round cake tins or insert a cake liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the sugar into a mixing bowl or kitchen blender, add the butter cubes and beat until smooth.
- Break the eggs into the bowl, sieve in the flour and add the milk.
- Beat or pulse until mixed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix a final time.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Buttercream and Jam Filling
- Measure the icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and milk and mix into a buttercream paste.
- Spread the buttercream over one cold cake layer.
- Spread the jam over the buttercream.
- Place the second sponge layer on top.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar.