Brown Rice Flour Sweet Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20cm/8” loose bottom tart tin or flan dish
- Measure the flour, icing sugar and xanthan gum into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and using a fork, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Avoid using your fingers for this.
- Break the egg into the bowl and stir to combine, adding just enough lemon juice to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Using your hands, gather everything together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Lay a large piece of parchment over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter the ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment, spreading them evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment and contents off the pastry.
- Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl, add the grated lemon rind and whisk together well.
- Continue whisking as you add the golden syrup.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Tip the mixture into the pastry base and bake for 25-30 minutes.
20cm/8” loose bottom tart tin or flan dish, parchment paper, pastry blender, ceramic baking beans and mixing bowls
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5