No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Homemade breadsticks are a delicious and economical snacking treat. Here is the recipe to make them from scratch with the option of adding some tasty linseeds, poppy seeds or sesame seeds. For a small quantity of breadsticks take 100g dough from your next bread making session, roll it into 8 sticks which can be cooked before your bread goes into the oven. Children always enjoy making breadsticks as they can be made, baked and ready to eat relatively quickly.
2 x large baking trays, clean tea towel and mixing bowl
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
325ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
oil, for trays
OPTIONAL SEED DRESSING
1 tbsp sesame seeds, poppy seeds or linseeds
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Rub some oil around the inside of two large baking trays or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Add the water and stir until lumpy,
- Sprinkle the salt over the top and stir to combine.
- Stir in the oil and mix everything together.
- Using your hands gather everything together, gently pressing into a slightly sticky ball of dough.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 100 presses. Avoid adding flour.
- Cut the dough into four and cut each piece into 5, making 20 small pieces of dough.
- Roll each piece of dough into a cylinder about 10cm/4” long.
- Return to each dough piece and roll it into a 20cm/8” cylinder.
- Finally roll all the dough pieces into 30cm/12” long cylinders, the thickness of a pencil.
- Sprinkle the chosen seeds over the breadsticks and gently roll each breadstick back and forth so a few seeds stick to each one.
- Transfer the dough cylinders to the prepared baking trays, making sure the breadsticks do not touch each other.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for 30-60 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before baking.
- Remove the tea towel and bake for 5 minutes.
- Carefully take the baking trays out of the oven and roll each breadstick over.
- Return the baking trays to the oven and bake for a further 3-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.