Blue Cheese and Walnut Quiche
About this recipe:
Stilton, Roquefort, Gorgonzola, Danish Blue or any other blue veined cheese will combine well with roasted walnuts on the top of this great vegetarian quiche.
20cm/8” round, loose bottom tin, 2 x mixing bowls and pastry blender
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
pinch of salt
6-7 tbsp cold water
flour, for dusting
butter, for tin
BLUE CHEESE AND WALNUT FILLING
100ml single cream
salt and pepper
150g blue cheese
100g walnut halves
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20cm/8” round, loose bottom tin and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough of the water to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Blue Cheese and Walnut Filling
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream, salt and pepper and beat together well.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes, or crumble it with your fingers, and add it to the bowl.
- Stir to combine and tip the mixture into the prepared pastry case.
- Place the walnuts decoratively over the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.