Pasta Flour Blue Cheese and Walnut Ravioli
BLUE CHEESE AND WALNUT FILLING
salt and pepper
water, for brushing
Doves Farm Organic Pasta Flour
pinch of fine salt
flour, for dusting
TO COOK AND SERVE
Blue Cheese and Walnut Filling
- Finely chop the walnuts onto an oven tray.
- Put the walnuts under a grill or in a hot oven for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Put two thirds of the nuts into one bowl and one third into another bowl for serving.
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Crumble the blue cheese into the bowl.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Stir in the larger bowl of cooled walnuts.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a depression in the middle of the flour.
- Break the eggs into the middle and beat them, allowing a little flour to be incorporated each time you stir.
- Continue stirring as the flour mixes in, eventually forming a dough.
- Gather the dough together and knead it for 100 presses to make a smooth ball of dough, adding a little flour only if needed.
- Cover and leave the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
Ravioli Pasta Using a Rolling Pin
- Sprinkle flour over the table and rolling pin.
- Cut the pasta dough into eight pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle, turning it over regularly and dusting lightly with flour.
- Continue rolling the dough until it is 1mm/1/32” thick.
- Cut the dough into 4x10cm/1½x4” rectangles and dust it lightly with flour to stop it sticking.
- Repeat with all the pieces of dough.
Ravioli Pasta Using a Pasta Machine
- Dust the pasta machine and the table liberally with flour.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces.
- Flatten each piece of dough and pass it through the widest, flat roller of a pasta machine to make a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in half and pass it through the roller two more times.
- Decrease the roller width 3 or 4 notches and pass each rectangle through a couple of times, to make longer rectangles. If the dough seems sticky, dust it with flour.
- Continue reducing the roller width until the pasta sheet is 1mm/1/32” thick.
- Cut the dough into 4x10cm/1½x4” rectangles and dust lightly with flour to stop it sticking.
- Repeat with all the pieces of dough.
To Fill Blue Cheese and Walnut Ravioli
- Dust a large chopping board or tray with flour.
- Brush a little water around the edges of the small pasta rectangles.
- Transfer the rectangles to the flour dusted tray.
- Put a small teaspoonful of blue cheese and walnut filling in the middle of each rectangle.
- Lift one side of the rectangle over its filling, pressing around the filling to exclude air and joining the pasta at the edges.
- Using the back of a fork, press around the ravioli edges to ensure they are sealed.
- Lightly dust the ravioli with flour.
- Leave the ravioli to dry for 1 hour and chill for up to 24 hours.
To Cook and Serve Blue Cheese and Walnut Ravioli
- Put the water and salt into a large 2lt saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add the ravioli and stir to ensure it is free flowing in the water.
- Cook for 7-15 minutes, depending upon the size and thickness of the ravioli.
- Warm the serving dish.
- To test if the ravioli is cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove a piece from the pan, cut the pasta with the side of a fork and if the pasta resists, continue to cook, repeating the fork test every minute.
- When cooked drain the ravioli, and return it to the cooking pan.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, stir gently and tip into the warm serving dish.
- Scatter the reserved toasted walnuts over the top.
- Serve immediately, accompanied by a bowl of grated parmesan.
pasta machine or rolling pin, large 2lt saucepan, 3 x mixing bowls, large chopping board or tray and oven tray
7-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your pasta
Free from Soya
Walnut and blue cheese make a delectable flavour combination in this homemade ravioli.