- Rub some butter around the inside of a 1.1lt/2pt pudding bowl.
- Put the flour, suet and sugar into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the milk and stir to mix.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a smooth pastry dough.
Apple and Blackcurrant Filling
- Peel and dice the apple into small cubes.
- Put the cubed apple and blackcurrant jam into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Cut off a third of the pastry and reserve this for the lid.
- Dust a work surface with flour, put the pastry dough in the middle and dust it with flour.
- Roll the pastry into a 23cm/9” circle and lift the pastry into the pudding bowl.
- OR put the pastry into the bowl and using your fingers, press it into the base and up the sides.
- Brush the top edges of the pastry with water.
- Tip the apple and blackcurrant filling into the pastry lined bowl.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to the diameter of the top of the bowl.
- Transfer the pastry circle to the bowl.
- Lift over, press and pinch the pastry around the edges of the bowl to join the circle.
- Brush a piece of parchment or greaseproof paper with butter and place it loosely, butter side down on the pudding.
Cooking the Pudding in a Microwave
- Cover the pudding with cling film and cut a hole in the top for steam to escape.
- Put the bowl into the microwave and close the door.
- Cook on full power for 7 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes.
Cooking the Pudding in a Saucepan
- Cover the pudding bowl with aluminium foil, tucking it in well around the outer rim.
- Stand the pudding bowl in the bottom of a large saucepan and add boiling water until it comes halfway up the pudding bowl.
- Put the lid on the saucepan and simmer gently for 2 hours. Lift the lid occasionally and add more boiling water to keep the level halfway up the pudding bowl.
Apple and Blackcurrant Sponge Pudding
- Carefully remove the pudding from the saucepan or microwave.
- Remove all foil, clingfilm or parchment and run a warm knife around the inside edge of the bowl.
- Put a warm plate on top of the pudding bowl, carefully invert the pudding and let it slide onto the plate.
- Serve warm with custard or cream.
1.1lt/2pt pudding bowl, parchment and aluminium foil to cover, 2 x mixing bowls and large saucepan