Wholemeal Einkorn Blackcurrant Honey Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
A glorious cut-and-come again, summer cake made with wholegrain flour and sweetened with honey rather than sugar. If you have lots of currants, you could use a mixture of black, white and redcurrants.
18cm/7” deep, round cake tin and 2 x mixing bowls
200g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Einkorn Flour
1 tbsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp tapioca flour
butter, for tin
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 18cm/7” deep, round cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into another bowl, add the honey and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Crack one egg into the bowl, beat well then beat in a spoon of the prepared flour.
- Beat in the remaining eggs one by one adding a spoon of the flour between each one.
- Sieve the remaining flour into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Stir in half the blackcurrants.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Add the caster sugar and tapioca flour to the remaining blackcurrants and stir until well mixed.
- Scatter the blackcurrants over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for half an hour before carefully turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.