About this recipe:
Typically, crunchy biscuits of Italian origin, the name biscotti derives from the fact that they are baked twice. Biscotti keeps exceptionally well and are great to nibble on their own or with a hot chocolate or cappuccino.
large baking tray and 2 x mixing bowls
100g whole almonds
200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
2 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
150g caster sugar
1 lemon rind, grated
1 tsp vanilla extract
flour, for dusting
butter, for tray
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Put the almonds on a baking tray and roast for 4-5 minutes in a hot oven.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and roasted almonds and stir to combine.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, finely grate the lemon rind into the bowl, add the vanilla extract and beat everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl and stir into a soft, slightly sticky, dough.
- Gather the dough together into a ball.
- Dust the dough with flour and transfer it to the prepared tray.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into a flat 10x25cm/4×10” rectangle.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Cut the biscotti into slices 1cm/⅜” thick.
- Lay out the slices on the baking tray and bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn them over and bake for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When cold store the biscotti in an airtight container.