White Baguette Bread
double baguette tray or a clean tea towel mixing bowl, deep oven tray and a large baking tray, sharp knife
300g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
325ml tepid water
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp Doves Farm Vitamin C
boiling water, for oven
rice flour, for dusting
240°C, Fan 220°C, 475°F, Gas 9
- Put the bread flour and yeast into a mixing bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the water to make a smooth batter, cover and leave in a warm place until swollen and bubbly, about 2 hours.
- Measure the plain flour, salt and vitamin C into a bowl, stir to combine then sieve this into the mixing bowl.
- Stir into a soft doughy mass and using your hands, knead the dough in the bowl for 50 presses, without adding further flour.
- Cover the bowl with another upturned bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Stand a double baguette tray on a large oven tray OR fold a tea towel into two pleats 38cm/15” long and 5cm/2” deep and lay this on one side of a large oven tray.
- Dust the baguette tray, or the inside of the pleats, liberally with rice flour.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for another 50 presses, without adding flour.
- Cut the dough in half and sprinkle both pieces with rice flour.
- Lightly dust the work surface with rice flour and roll each piece of dough into a cylinder 38cm/15” long.
- Transfer the dough cylinders to the baguette tin or tea towel pleats, loosely cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 35 minutes and pre-heat the oven.
- Put a deep oven tray into the oven, fill it with boiling water and pre-heat the oven, this will make the oven steamy.
- If using the tea towel, gently roll the risen baguettes onto the baking tray.
- Quickly and carefully make some cuts across the top of the baguettes.
- Open the oven door, taking care to avoid any rush of steam, and quickly insert the baguettes. Bake for 25–30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.