For gluten free, vegan and casein free Easter baking this Simnel cake recipe uses gluten free flour but no eggs, milk or dairy products. A traditional part of the Easter celebration Simnel cakes are a spicy fruit cake with a marzipan layer baked into the middle. The 11 marzipan balls that decorate the top are said to represent the true disciples of Jesus.
|300 g||Ground Almonds|
|300 g||Icing Sugar|
|2 ||Lemons Rind & Juice|
|1 ||Eating Apple|
|125 g||Sunflower Oil|
|150 g||Brown Sugar|
| ½ tsp||Grated Nutmeg|
| ½ tsp||Ground Cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Xanthan Gum|
|1 tsp||Baking Powder|
|175 g||Gluten Free Plain Flour or Rice Flour|
|100 g||Mixed Glace Peel|
|1 tbsp||Apricot Jam|
- Mix together the almonds, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice and form into two balls of dough. Cover and set these aside.
- Grate the whole apple into a bowl and the sugar and oil then beat vigourously.
- Add the water, nutmeg, cinnamon, xanthan gum and baking powder beating vigourously again.
- Mix in the flour, currants and peel.
- Press half the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm/8” round deep sprinform tin.
- Take one ball of the almond paste, roll or pat it into a 22cm/9” circle and place it on top of the cake mixture.
- Spread the remaining cake mixture on top of the almond paste.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1¾/2 hours.
- Allow the cake to cool then run a knife around the cake edges and turn it out from its tin..
- Brush the top of the cold cake with the apricot jam.
- Take the second ball of almond paste and break off enough to make 11 marble sized pieces.
- Roll out the remaining almond dough into a circle 20cm/8” round using the spring form tin base as a guide.
- Place the almond dough circle on top of the apricot jam.
- Press the 11 balls of almond paste onto the top of the cake, moistening the base of each slightly if the do not stick.
Rate this recipe using the review button below, or click here to discuss it in our forum.
Temperature & cooking time:
160ºC/Fan 140º/300ºF/Gas Mk3 for 1¾/2 hours
Without Dairy, Without Egg, Without Gluten, Without Soya, Vegan, Without Wheat.
Please note: Dietary status is a guideline only. If you have a food allergy, please check the suitability of your ingredients.